The castle church (also a castle chapel) is the first Protestant church building in which the doctrine of the Reformation was realized in architecture and art. Martin Luther consecrated the church on October 5, 1544. Its emphasized modesty is due to Luther’s own ideas which were turned into reality by architect Nickel Grohmann, who designed this functional sacral and earliest of all Protestant buildings. The castle chapel remained almost unchanged until today and served as a model for further Protestant churches in Germany. The entire color scheme of the castle and the chapel is owed to Lucas Cranach. He is also responsible for the sketches of the motives on the chapel’s pulpit. Johann Walter, cantor of the Reformation, composed the music for the church’s consecration. He is considered to be one the founders of Protestant vocal music and laid down the foundations for church music. The Torgau Organ Recitals and the annual Festwoche der Kirchenmusik (Festival of Church Music) in particular are well-known far beyond the borders of the town.
Additional access information for wheelchair users and persons with reduced mobility:
- The castle church is easily accessible
- The WC for wheelchair users is inside the castle
“It is the intention of this building that nothing else shall happen inside it except that our dear Lord shall speak to us through His Holy Word, and we in turn talk to Him through prayer and praise.” With these words on 5 October 1544, Martin Luther inaugurated the world’s first newly-built Protestant church in Torgau’s Hartenfels Castle. Although it had to fit into the limited space of the castle, this building implemented the spiritual program of the Reformation in architecture and art for the first time. In keeping with the desire of Luther, the church is simple. In the center, to preach the Word, is the pulpit with motifs by Lucas Cranach, who was also responsible for the color scheme of the entire interior. The Castle Church became the model for many other Protestant churches and can be visited today in almost its original form.