"Nikolaikirche - open to all" became reality in autumn 1989 and surprised us all. After all, it united people from the whole of the former GDR: those who wanted to leave the country and those who were curious, regime critics and Stasi (State Security Police) personnel, church staff and SED members, Christians and Non-Christians beneath the outspread arms of the crucified and resurrected Jesus Christ. In view of the political reality between 1949 and 1989, this defies all imagination. It became reality. Exactly 450 years after the introduction of the Reformation in Leipzig, 176 years after the Battle of Nations in Leipzig. Now it was Leipzig once more.
Additional access information for wheelchair users and persons with reduced mobility:
- Parking space for wheelchair users in underground car park at the Augustusplatz square or Ritterstraße
- Entrance door 80 cm
- WC for wheelchair users at the Alte Nikolaischule (school, the key is available in the Nikolaicafe): 90x100 cm in front of and 60 cm right or rather 30 cm left of the WC
- Induction loops available
One of the many stations on the musical trail “Leipziger Notenspur”, which traces the extremely rich musical history of the city of Leipzig, is St Nicholas Church, where Martin Luther preached and Johann Sebastian Bach premiered his St John Passion and Christmas Oratorio, Even Communist rule after the World War II could not extinguish the spirit of the Reformation. The prayers for peace in Leipzig’s St Nicholas’ Church led to the Monday demonstrations that brought down the East German regime and resulted in German reunification.