Late gothic hall church, built 1502-1546, original vault paintings from 1546, sandstone altar 1614, baptismal font from 1561.
Notes on accessibility / deviations from the pictograms:
- Access via 1 step of 5 cm and door 103 cm
- The nave is accessible for wheelchairs, the altar place is accessible by appointment
- Special guided tours for the blind and wheelchair users are possible by prior appointment
- An induction loop is available
With the Reformation came the demand to open up education to everybody. It was probably for this reason that Martin Luther discouraged the destruction of religious images in his sphere of influence, because for him and other moderate Reformers in a time in which most people could neither read nor write, pictures from the Bible had great educational value. St Mary’s in Pirna, a late Gothic hall church, was still under construction when the Reformation was introduced in Albertine Saxony, so the “Pirna Picture Bible” was painted in the fields on the intricate ceiling. It is one of the most comprehensive and impressive vault paintings of the Reformation. In addition to scenes from the Old and New Testaments, the four Evangelists are also represented, of whom St Luke has the facial features of Luther and St Mark those of Melanchthon.