The green oasis in the city centre of Leipzig with almost 900 different species and subspecies belongs to the most species-rich animal gardens in the world.
The "zoo of the future" provides the visitors equally with adventure, education and recreation. The savannah landscape of Africa extends from the "Kiwara Lodge" and in the elephant temple "Ganesha-Madir" you can watch the pachyderms during their daily bath under water. Gorillas, chimpanzees, bonobos and orang-utans are climbing around on the trees and rocks of the "Pongoland".
Another attraction will be opened in 2011: the tropics adventure world "Gondwanaland" which will be unique throughout Europe. Visitors will experience the "tropical rainforest" with all senses. Exciting perspectives are provided by guided boat tours or trails up high in the crowns of exotic trees.
Experience Europe's unique tropical experience world Gondwanaland, Pongoland, the world's only great apes with all four species under one roof, the African expanses on the Kiwara Savannah, the adventure world of South America and the huge Bärenburg playground.
Additional access information for wheelchair users and persons with reduced mobility:
- Wheelchairs can be booked and hired upon payment of a deposit
- Stair lift in the aquarium (please register with staff)
- Self-service lifts in the elephant temple and "Gondwanaland"
- Guide dogs are allowed by prior notice
- The garden regulations is available in Braille
- Barrier-free discovery tours and guided tours on request