Late Gothic hall church, erected 1502-1546 with original vault paintings from 1546, sandstone altar 1614 and baptismal font 1561.
Access via 1 step of 5 cm and door of 103 cm. Nave barrier-free. Altar area accessible after preregistration. Special tours for blind guests and wheelchair users possible after preregistration. Induction loop available.
With the Reformation came the demand to open up education to everybody. It was probably for this reason that Martin Luther discouraged the destruction of religious images in his sphere of influence, because for him and other moderate Reformers in a time in which most people could neither read nor write, pictures from the Bible had great educational value. St Mary’s in Pirna, a late Gothic hall church, was still under construction when the Reformation was introduced in Albertine Saxony, so the “Pirna Picture Bible” was painted in the fields on the intricate ceiling. It is one of the most comprehensive and impressive vault paintings of the Reformation. In addition to scenes from the Old and New Testaments, the four Evangelists are also represented, of whom St Luke has the facial features of Luther and St Mark those of Melanchthon.