St. Marien, during the 16th cent. court church of the Ernestine, is resting place of Katharina Luther, née von Bora. Her tombstone and the plaque "The 14 Wholy Helpers" by Lukas Cranach d. A. from 1505 are worth seeing.
Additional access information for wheelchair users and persons with reduced mobility:
- Access for wheelchair users via door of 93 cm and inside ramp (21% gradient, 2m length), an assistance is required
- The WC for wheelchair users is in the opposite parish house
- Induction loop
Torgau’s proximity to Wittenberg benefited the emergence of Reformation thought in the town. In 1522 the population welcomed the Reformation and Luther preached in the city. In all, he visited Torgau more than 40 times. However, the the painting of “The Fourteen Holy Helpers” by Lucas Cranach the Elder in St Mary’s Church is pre-Reformation. In 1552, Luther’s widow Katharina died in a house in the center of Torgau. This, her last residence, now houses the Katharina Luther Museum. She is buried in St Mary’s Church, where her epitaph can also be seen.