The first building on the square invites you to take an exciting journey back through the centuries in Leipzig, the city of trade, the city of fairs and the city of 1989’s “peaceful revolution.”
The Old Town Hall is the heart of the Stadtgeschichtliches Museum.Visit our permanent exhibition in one the most beautiful Renaissance buildings in Germany. Meet Hieronymus Lotter (1497-1580), master builder to the Electors, Mayor of Leipzig and the man who directed the construction of the Altes Rathaus in 1556 on the foundations of the previous late Gothic town hall first built in 1480 in the street “Am Loche.”
Additional access information for wheelchair users and persons with reduced mobility:
- Separate entrance for wheelchair users via lift (in the passage, with bell): Door 86 cm
- Tours for learning and visually impaired people: Tactile exhibits, relief pictures, DAISY CD
There is documentary evidence that Martin Luther visited Leipzig seven times. Among the exhibits of the Museum of City History in the Old Town Hall are the Luther Goblet, a gift of the King of Sweden to Luther, and the ring of Luther’s wife Katharina, engraved with the date of their wedding.