The "Coffe Baum" is one of the oldest coffee shops in Europe to survive in its original form. In 1717, Johann Lehmann purchased premises in the Fleischergasse, which he converted into a coffee house. One year after
his death in1720 it was opened by his widow as "Zum Arabischen Coffe Baum".
The third floor now houses a coffee museum with one of the most important collections in the world. There are 15 rooms with over 500 specially selected exhibits dating from Saxony's 300-year history of
coffee and culture. The artefacts include table-top roasters and coffee mills from various eras and a very modern sample roaster.