Textile and Racing Museum TRM

Antonstraße 6, 09337 Hohenstein-Ernstthal

Tel. : +49 (0) 3723 47711

Fax : +49 (0) 3723 626554


www.trm-hot.de

General

Industrial Heritage

Technical refinements

If visitors think that they will see technical refinements only in the racing department of the “double museum” of Hohenstein-Ernstthal, they are mistaken. Innovations in modern mechanics, control and regulation technologies also started in the production of textile machines, which is so widespread in Saxony. Milestones in the history of automation are shown in the weaving exhibition room of the museum with Jacquard looms, named after their inventor Joseph-Marie Jacquard, who was honoured personally for his invention by no one less than Napoleon Bonaparte. The functional principle of these machines makes it possible to program them to weave endless patterns of high complexity. To this day, several highly specialized firms in the Hohenstein-Ernstthal area use this method. And the exhibition of the textile industry has other interesting exhibits. Who really knows everything about stocking knitting and stitch-bonding, knitting, embroidery and trimmings-manufacture? What are crochet machines and stocking frame knitting machines? The history of textiles and especially the last 100 years are made tangible, step by step, using functioning machines, mostly from the 1930s, and preserved designs. And the pace of work can be compared to motorcycle racing.

 

Rapid racers

When after a 26-year break the Motorcycle World Championship returned to the Sachsenring circuit near Hohenstein-Ernstthal in 1998, things had come full circle. The German Grand Prix had been held here from 1934 to 1939 and World Championship races from 1961 to 1972 until the track, which led through the middle of the town, had become too dangerous for modern machines from western Europe and the Far East, but especially because the GDR state had a problem with the fact that the road racing motorcycles from its own production were no longer competitive. But the racing enthusiasm in the region did not diminish. There were still hundreds of thousands of visitors, when from 1973 to 1990 “only” the Grand Prix of the GDR took place. After German reunification the old natural racetrack closed. But an entirely new racing arena was built, including a traffic safety centre, which took over the name and was suitable for international competitions again. The racing division of the “double museum” of Hohenstein-Ernstthal is entirely devoted to the cult of the Sachsenring. On display are 30 racing machines from different manufacturers, the oldest dating back to 1924, as well as multimedia presentations of scenes of racing action and life at the track. There is much to report about that, but the MotoGP draws 200,000 enthusiastic spectators to the “Ring” every year.

Show map