Situated on a rock plateau 70 metres high above the Elbe river, Sonnenstein castle, which originated as a Slavic settlement, developed into a defensive fortification over the course of several centuries. At the beginning of the 19th century, the castle was turned into a sanatorium for the mentally ill. The sanatorium was closed with the outbreak of WWII in 1939 and used as a military hospital.
To bear in remembrance the victims of these gruesome atrocities, the cellar rooms used for the exterminations have been reconstructed as close to the original as possible and have been opened to the public. In one of the memorial rooms, the fates of 22 "euthanasia" victims are documented. In an other room, the names of all victims are listed on a glass plate. A permanent exhibition about the "euthanasia" programme can be visited at the former administration building.
Notes on accessibility / deviations from the pictograms:
- Entrance: lift door: 83 cm. Bell at the entrance
- All other doors 90 cm
- 5 cm threshold to the memorial area in the basement
- Special guided tours for people with learning disabilities by appointment
- Also offered in simple language by prior appointment