A unique toy and Christmas idyll awaits the visitor in the exhibition that has been opened in 1936 and is world-famous today. The exhibition of 5,000 objects in the museum's collection provides an opportunity to explore these connections through texts, photographs, and graphic overviews. It is an exhibit of the social, technical, and economic history of the middle range of the Erzgebirge mountains, as well as a museum of folklore and folk art. The toys themselves - the skittles, musical toys, carousels, farms, Noah's arks, building sets, doll rooms, horses and wagons - speak their own language. But they also speak of the centuries-old unbroken promise of creativity, of the wishes and dreams of the miners, farmers and toymakers, of a landscape that is both harsh and charming, and of a people and their still living traditions.
A unique toy and Christmas idyll awaits the visitor in the exhibition that has been opened in 1936 and is world-famous today. On three floors more than 5.000 Christmas exhibits and historic toys will fascinate you.
The more than 6 metre high show pyramid in the centre does not only make children's hearts beat faster. Experience and play, this is the motto under which construction systems can be tested and reproductions of historic toys can be used. Ornamental and didactic materials invite you to a creative game and imaginative creating. It is exciting to rummage around the visitor´s and to make use of the interactive museum catalogue.
In the attic, aside from a changing special exhibition, smaller cabinet exhibitions have been put up. So that the topic "Hölzer der Welt - die Welt des Holzes" (wood of the world - the world of wood), among others, is provided with exotic wood samples and artful wood turning works.
The museum is located in the midst of Seiffen, the town of toys, with a car park at the house and easy, handicapped accessible entrance and elevator for all exhibition floors.
- for the successful participation in the museum quiz an "honorary diploma" is awarded
- children can decorate and colour toy designs themselves
- several times a year days especially for families are organized - games and handicraft
- baby change
- the world`s largest show pyramid (6,3 m)
Notes on accessibility / deviations from the pictograms:
- Lift: control panel 116 cm
- Toilet for wheelchair users: door 94 cm, 165x157 cm in front of, 85 cm to right of or 83 cm to left of toilet, 45 cm toilet height
- All 3 exhibition floors are accessible for wheelchairs
- Guided tours for blind visitors and guests with learning difficulties possible upon prior appointment