The town of Grimma is located in the idyllic Mulde valley and is closely connected with the Saxon history. The progenitor of the Saxon royal family, Albrecht the Courageous, was born there in the 15th Born century. Later different electors of Saxony resided in the castle. The town is also connected with another famous name: Martin Luther. He often preached in the monastery church, which is now used for cultural events. The population of Grimma was very open to the new faith, so that the Reformation established itself very quickly.
Additional access information for wheelchair users and persons with reduced mobility:
- Public WC for wheelchair users in the guildhall (near church): 120 cm right and 103 cm left of the WC
- Another WC with EURO key beside guildhall: 160x100 cm in front and 77 cm right of the WC
As an outlaw, Martin Luther was compelled to avoid the area of Duke George and after 1521 was no longer able to take the shorter route via Leipzig on his journeys south. He now often traveled to Grimma, a day’s journey from each of the Electoral cities of Torgau and Altenburg. He had first visited Grimma in 1516 in his function as Prior Provincial of the Augustinian Order, and had visited the city several times thereafter. He was accommodated in the castle, the birthplace of Albert the Bold, the first of the Albertine line, or in St Augustine’s Monastery. He often preached in the monastery church, which is now used for cultural events. The population of Grimma was very open to the new faith, so that the Reformation established itself very quickly. After Luther had translated the New Testament in Wartburg Castle, it was printed not only in Wittenberg, but also in Grimma. The Luther monument in the city is by the famous Saxon sculptor Ernst Rietschel, who is also responsible for the famous Luther memorial in Worms.