The Cathedral on the citadel hill of Meissen is a pure sacred building of the Mid-Gothic, even if its steeple topis from the beginning of this century. The construction was begun about 1240, the Prince`s Chapel with the tombplates from Vischer`s foundry in Nürnberg was built out about 1430. Founder figures from the Nürnberg workshop from about 1260 can also be found here, as well as the triptych „Mourning of Jesus Christ“ by Lucas Cranach the Elder.
Additional access information for wheelchair users and persons with reduced mobility:
- Approach to the cathedral / Albrechtsburg Castle by car possible
- Separate entrance for wheelchair users (please register at ticket office)
- Tours for the blind and guests with learning impairments on request
After Duke Henry the Pious had introduced the Reformation in Albertine Saxony in 1539, the fates of the Catholic bishop of Meissen and his cathedral were apparently sealed. But the bishop withdrew to his domains in the areas around Stolpen, Wurzen and Mügeln. Not until 1581, under the pressure of the Elector, did the last bishop surrender. In Meissen Cathedral works by Cranach can be seen at the lay altar and in St George’s Chapel, where George the Bearded was to be buried as the last Wettin. A larger-than-life equestrian statue of the Duke can be seen at the George’s Gate of Dresden Castle.