Festung Königstein (Königstein Fortress) is a unique monument to the art of European fortress construction. Its 750 years' history have made it an impressive configuration of late Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque and 19th century architecture. The 9.5 hectare fortress complex is opened to the public as a military and historical open air museum.
Additional access information for wheelchair users and persons with reduced mobility:
- Handicapped guests can drive up to the ticket office (4 disabled parking spaces).
- Gradients/slopes on the grounds and some steep ramps into the buildings - an accompanying person is recommended
- Some exhibitions are accessible without steps
- Toilet for wheelchair users (on fortress, with EURO key): Door 86 cm, 160x150 cm in front of and 90 cm beside the toilet
- Another toilet for wheelchair users at ticket office
- The barrier-free restaurant "1900" can be rented by groups
- A German round tour map for wheelchair users provides a better overview of paths that are difficult for wheelchairs
- Free admission for an accompanying dog or a guide dog for the blind
- A palpation model shows the simplified mountain fortress and labels the buildings in braille and relief