The Festival Hall Hellerau in Dresden with the European Centre for the Arts is a place of modern age. Art lovers and people who see the artistic answer to questions of our times in the merging of different media and also look for modern venues aside from the traditional ones meet in the former "educational establishment for music and rhythm". In Hellerau they find the festival Dresden days of contemporary music, the festival of computer art CYNETart and the St. Petersburg-Hellerau Compagnie DEREVO with avant-garde physical theatre or contemporary dance by the star choreograph William Forsythe.
Additional access information for wheelchair users and persons with reduced mobility:
- Side entrance for wheelchair users
- 8 wheelchair spaces in the great hall
- Induction loop
Fridays at 2 pm and every third Sunday of the month at 11 am For tours that fall on a holiday advance notice three days prior is required. For groups of 15 persons and more a special tour is possible upon request. Guided tours in English language can be arranged upon request as well.
Icon of the modern age
The Hellerau festival hall, once an educational establishment for rhythmics, is part of the "Garden Town of Hellerau", first garden town in Germany. A stroll through this district of Dresden with its small houses, lined by neat front gardens, opens the visitors’ eyes to the practically designed living and working space of those times. The festival hall was planned in 1912 by the architect Heinrich Tessenow (1876 –1950) by order of the co-initiator of the garden town and first secretary of the “Deutscher Werkbund” (German Work Federation), Wolf Dohrn (1878 –1914). In his design Tessenow, who was also involved in the creation of the garden town with small apartment houses and villas, adapted geometrical basic designs and functional elements. Columns below a triangular gable reminding of an antique temple shape the festival hall. The large event hall was once equipped with flexible stage elements, light protruded from a full-faced canvas covering or from lamps with continuously variable dimming on the walls. After serving as barracks the festival hall is now gradually being restored to its original state.