The Kreuzkirche (Church of the Holy Cross) in Dresden, of the Evangelical Church in Germany, is the largest church in Saxony. It also is the home of the Dresdner Kreuzchor boys choir. The church existed since the early twelfth century, it was officially dedicated on 10 June 1388 to the Holy Cross. Since 1491, it has burned down five times. In its current form, it was re-opened in 1955. The director of the choir is known as the Kreuzkantor.
Additional access information for wheelchair users and persons with reduced mobility:
- Access for wheelchair users at entrance A
- The nave is easily accessible
- WC for wheelchair users: 148x140 cm in front and 96 cm right or rather 43 cm left of the WC
- Induction loop
After the death of his brother George the Bearded, Henry the Pious introduced the Reformation into the Duchy of Saxony, officially completing it on 6 July 1539 with a festive Eucharist in Dresden’s Church of the Holy Cross. The boys’ choir of Dresden’s Holy Cross Church (Dresdner Kreuzchor) is almost as old and famous as St Thomas Boys Choir (Thomanerchor), and has very similar duties. In addition to the works of Johann Sebastian Bach, the peak of Lutheran church music, the choir also sings music by Heinrich Schütz, the “Father of German Music.”