The Deutsches Hygiene Museum is a public forum for current issues arising from the revolutions in science, culture and politics that are reshaping our society in the early 21st century. In addition to the exhibition programme, the Museum organizes numerous events with renowned guests, including lectures, discussions, readings and conferences.
At the centre of the permanent exhibition ABENTEUER MENSCH with a popular science slant, "Human Adventure", there are body and health topics that visitors can explore with the help of exhibits, media units and many interactive displays. These presentations deal with the latest scientific findings in the study of Man, as well as with cultural issues of everyday life. The Museum’s pecial exhibitions also address problems of social policy and issues in the history of ideas and culture. The permanent exhibition also displays countless objects from the museum' s extensive collection, such as the "transparent man". The regular attractions are rounded off by the experience-based children's museum, "Our Senses".
Its temporary exhibitions address current or historical themes with regard to science and society, art and culture.
- The human adventure - permanent exhibition
- Our senses - museum for children
- programmes for families - guided tours for families, guided tours in easy language through the permanent and the special exhibitions, changing offers during the holidays and weekends, individual exploration-tours and playful tours for families with children from 6 to 12 years
Additional access information for wheelchair users and persons with reduced mobility:
- Tactile room overview maps
- Acoustic or tactile exhibits (films with audio description, interactive elements can be approached acoustically or in Braille)
- Special hearing demonstrations for blind and visually impaired visitors
- Tactile floor guidance system
- Media stations and audio guides with induction loops
- Sound films with subtitles
- Texts from hearing stations in written form
- Tours in sign language on request (with costs)
- Audio tours in easy language
- Specific museum-related pedagogical programmes for visitors with learning and mental disabilities
The programme of special exhibitions 2018 / 2019:
- Racism. The invention of human races (19 May 2018 - 06 Jan 2019)
- Shine on me. We and the sun. (September 28, 2018 to August 18, 2019)
- From plants and humans. (April 2019 to April 2020)
Icon of the modern age
Since 1930, the German Museum of Hygiene has stood on the edge of the so-called Great Garden. The impressive building was designed by Wilhelm Kreis, its style combining the clear lines of the Bauhaus style with monumental classicist elements. Kreis ranked among the most renowned architects of his time. His museum building was extensively refurbished and modernised by the architect Peter Kulka between 2002 and 2010 although great care was taken to simply restore it into its original state. Today, visitors encounter a high-strung, aesthetically convincing dialogue between the historic building from classical Modernism and an individual contemporary architecture language.
Upon request, the Museum of Hygiene offers a special architecture tour “From Wilhelm Kreis to Peter Kulka”.