Olbernhau – the land of toys in the Ore Mountains – is embedded in the charming valleys of the Flöha and its tributaries. The city is surrounded by luxuriant beech and spruce forests which invite to extensive hikes.
Whoever prefers activity visits the unique world of games or makes use of one of our bowling lanes with so-called "Kinderbumbersystem" (security system to prevent children being hit by bowls) – here, the success is guaranteed also for the small. Further, numerous leisure time activities are available for active relaxation. With magical attraction the mechanical miniature mountains entice the big and the small to come to the museum at the marketplace that has been restored with great love for detail.
On a playful stroll through the city many lovinglydesigned wind chimes can be discovered. While the adults learn strange stories and all kinds of specific features about the city from information boards, the children find a topic-related, nice play facility. At every turn one meets the traditional wooden art. The numerous "Männelmacher" (craftsmen) let you look over their shoulder.
The "Olbernhauer Reiterlein" (little rider of Olbernhau), as an expression of attachment to tradition, leads through the city and shows the children where there is something to experience. Here, families are very welcome!
The city of Olbernhau is certified as a family-friendly locality.
- Museum Olbernhau with mechanical miniature mountains, city history, natural history
- Museum Saigerhütte (Saiger Hut) with copper hammer mill, exhibition, outdoor installation
- open-air bath with infant pool and playing equipment
- bowling, miniature golf, fitness
- ski lift, groomed cross-country skiing trails, toboggan slope
- sign-posted network of hiking trails, especially for families
- Stockhausen – the living land of toys
- nature trail in the area of the Saigerhütte hut and guided hikes with knowledge quiz
- children's theatre, every sunday
- handicrafts possibilities
- several festivals
- family-friendly accommodation
Additional access information for wheelchair users and persons with reduced mobility:
- Individual consultation and information, manifold map and information material, sale of souvenirs and ticket service, event schedules, day trips
- All areas of the Tourist Service are easily accessible
- Public WC for wheelchair users (100 m away): Door 86 cm, 150x150 cm in front of and 83 cm beside the WC