Zwickau is the place where in 1904 August Horch initiated the automobile manufacture. In the August-Horch-Museum enthusiasts can witness automobile history admiring luxurious models of the brands Horch, Audi, Wanderer and DKW, Auto Union, Sachsenring, VW, but also the cult models of the Trabant.
Old originals from over 100 years of automobile manufacture are being shown in a new lustre.
Additional access information for wheelchair users and persons with reduced mobility:
- All areas of the museum are accessible for wheelchairs
- Lifts: to cloakroom (door 90 cm, space of 99x140 cm for turning a wheelchair) and to the new building (door 90 cm, space of 101x200 cm for turning a wheelchair)
- Toilets for wheelchair users:
- Cloakroom: door 94 cm, >200x142 cm in front and 150 cm right of toilet, 47 cm toilet height
- Restaurant: door 89 cm, 184x155 cm in front and 94 cm left resp. 95 cm right of toilet, 47 cm toilet height
- Guided tours and audio guides for blind guests and tours in sign language on request
- Programme “Museum im Koffer” (museum in a suitcase) for mentally handicapped children and youths
- Free rental of wheelchairs, walking frames and museum stools
Lord of the Rings
August Horch was a gifted engineer, but had no knack for business. When he was forced out of his own company in 1909, he still took only three days to put together the initial capital for another automotive company, which he also founded in direct proximity to the Zwickau Horch works. There was an argument with the old company over the naming rights, so he translated his name Horch (it means “listen”) into Latin, and it became “Audi”. In 1932, the Saxon automobile manufacturers Horch, Audi, DKW and Wanderer merged to form the public limited company Auto Union. The company logo was four intertwined rings, symbolizing the four brands, and it is still emblazoned on every Audi. After the World War II, the Saxon automobile industry found it difficult to get going again. The production facilities had been bombed or dismantled and the trademark rights and a large part of the construction documents had disappeared to the West, along with the board members and other employees. But the Zwickau engineers never ceased to develop new and contemporary cars, although they were ordered by the state to hold fast to the Trabant. The August Horch Museum in the original Audi factory makes the eventful history of the Zwickau automotive industry a tangible experience. It shows more than 70 pre-war cars, including the oldest Audi and the DKW F1, the first full-fledged small car. But prototypes of the post-war years can also be viewed and, of course, all stages of development of the Trabant and its precursors.