1. Hauptnavigation
  2. Navigation des Hauptbereiches
  3. Inhalt der Seite

August Horch Museum Zwickau

Audistraße 7, 08058 Zwickau

Tel.: +49 (0) 375 2717380

Fax: +49 (0) 375 27173811


www.horch-museum.de

General

Zwickau is the place where in 1904 August Horch initiated the automobile manufacture. In the August-Horch-Museum enthusiasts can witness automobile history admiring luxurious models of Horch, Audi, Wanderer and DKW but also the cult models of the Trabant. Old originals from over 100 years of automobile manufacture are being shown in a new lustre.

Accessibility

Additional access information for wheelchair users and persons with reduced mobility:

     

  • All areas of the museum are easily accessible

  • Guided tours and audio guides for blind guests as well as tours in sign language on request
  •  

Industrial Heritage

Lord of the Rings

August Horch was a gifted engineer, but had no knack for business. When he was forced out of his own company in 1909, he still took only three days to put together the initial capital for another automotive company, which he also founded in direct proximity to the Zwickau Horch works. There was an argument with the old company over the naming rights, so he translated his name Horch (it means “listen”) into Latin, and it became “Audi”. In 1932, the Saxon automobile manufacturers Horch, Audi, DKW and Wanderer merged to form the public limited company Auto Union. The company logo was four intertwined rings, symbolizing the four brands, and it is still emblazoned on every Audi. After the World War II, the Saxon automobile industry found it difficult to get going again. The production facilities had been bombed or dismantled and the trademark rights and a large part of the construction documents had disappeared to the West, along with the board members and other employees. But the Zwickau engineers never ceased to develop new and contemporary cars, although they were ordered by the state to hold fast to the Trabant. The August Horch Museum in the original Audi factory makes the eventful history of the Zwickau automotive industry a tangible experience. It shows more than 70 pre-war cars, including the oldest Audi and the DKW F1, the first full-fledged small car. But prototypes of the post-war years can also be viewed and, of course, all stages of development of the Trabant and its precursors.

 

Show map

Buchung

Accessibility Information

Parking

  • There is a parking area for disabled persons


Access to the facility / moving inside the facility

Ramps with > 6% ascent are reported in the text

  • Door width min. 90 cm
    Entrance without steps (max. 3 cm) or with ramp


Elevator

Operating elements with a height of > 115 cm are reported in the text

  • Door width min. 90 cm
    Access without steps (max. 3 cm) or with ramp
    Space inside elevator min. 110 x 140 cm


WC for wheelchair users

  • Door width min. 90 cm
    Access without steps (max. 3 cm) or with ramp
    Space in front of toilet min. 150 x 150 cm
    Space left or right of the toilet min. 90 cm
    Folding toilet support rails present


Additional aids / Offers

  • Aids / Offers for blind and visually impaired persons

  • Aids / Offers for deaf and hearing-impaired persons